Thursday, June 30, 2011

Yesterday was great! I arrived at our street kid program to find many new kids. I also saw Wasswa and Brian. Brian agreed to go to bible study this morning and Wasswa seemed too cool to go but we’ll see if David can persuade him. Please pray for both of them as we continue to love these kids. Pray that God would work in their hearts. I feel so blessed to be one of God’s vessels in showing love and care for these two boys, no matter how tough and ‘cool’ they are.

I’ve mentioned in the past how God has used malaria and other times to allow us to serve the children and break down walls. Even the toughest kids need care when they are sick. Yesterday one of our new kids was very sick with a high temperature. I took him to the clinic and it’s amazing how I barely knew him on the way there but by the time we left he was noticeably more comfortable around me. It may help that I bribed him with a new pair of sandals :) I pray that Franco would recover quickly and continue to come to programs. I’m grateful for the opportunity to care for him.

Last and by far the best part of the day was last night. Several of us had dinner together last night at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant, it’s always fun to hang out and laugh. After dinner five of us went out into the streets in search of kids. We know there are hundreds of boys living on the streets of Kampala and last night our goal was to meet as many as possible. For three hours we walked all over the city and talked to as many kids as we could. After the first hour we met Alex and this kid is awesome! We asked him to take us to the places where the kids slept and for the next two hours he led us around the city. It must have been quite a sight; 2 Ugandans, 3 white girls and a young street boy leading us. As we met kids we encouraged them to come to Kivulu, the area where we have program. I pray that they come today. I pray that God would use us to get these kids off the streets.

That’s it - a wonderful day and I attribute it all to God.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see a video of a day like you just described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for making me alive again today. Sometimes I feel like I am flat-lining. I love what you are doing with these boys, and what God is doing through you and the Kivulu program. Every time I think about this, I just know you will have absolutely no regrets about how you are living your life. Praying I can live that way, too. Thank you too for sharing what God did through your time of prayer and fasting. I needed to hear that today. You're pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete