Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Home.

It’s a weird thing really. I just spent the last 9 months living in Uganda and the minute I stepped off the plane in Chicago I felt completely at home. How does that work? My life is in Uganda and has been for the last two years. I love it there. I have an apartment, a great roommate, wonderful friends, work, etc and I feel comfortable there. But within 24 hours of traveling I find myself in Chicago and I feel as if I never left. And that does not make sense to me. At all. Sometimes I try to figure it out, how one person can live in two opposite places and feel as though she never left. But then I just decide that God is good and that is how he made me. I don’t think I’ll ever ‘get it.’ It’s just wonderful!

With that said, I must say it is amazing to be home in Chicago. When I am here I experience God in such a different way. Here I see how God uses my closest family and friends to pour love onto me. He uses them to speak words of love and encouragement. I feel rejuvenated and relaxed. I come home and truly appreciate the little things and that is a blessing. I’m not excited about the shops or fancy foods or other amenities (although the paved roads, fountain sodas, hot showers and constant electricity are nice). It’s waking up and having a wonderful cup of coffee with my mom. It’s having my dear friends sitting in front of me and laughing with me.My cousin ran up to me and jumped on me – and I’m not kidding. She’s a grown woman and almost tackled me to the ground. And it made me feel loved. I love it here. There are moments when I love it so much I feel like I don’t want to ever leave but then I remember the life God has blessed me with back in Uganda. I remember my amazing love, Ivan, (and if you didn’t hear yet we’re getting married). I remember my friends and the kids I work with and miss them dearly. It’s ok to love home and it’s ok to not want to leave and at this point I’m glad I’ve got another 5 weeks here.













1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Cara! I love hearing your news and excitement - both in Chicago and in Uganda.

    ReplyDelete