Monday, June 20, 2011

I feel a bit overwhelmed with all that I want to write. There is so much to share and I think I’ll have to post a few updates to capture it all. However, all that has happened over the last two weeks comes down to the fact that our God never leaves us or forsakes us. He is our ultimate Provider and Father for all His children. He hears our prayers and knows our hearts desires and responds with love, grace, compassion and mercy.

Two weeks I wrote the previous post. I’m not sure it is clearly conveyed in my writing, but the feelings of desperation and helplessness I felt then was so real and intense. It was absolutely awful to look at my friends and know we did not have answer to the problem. I know without a doubt that while we may be helpless, God is always in control and that no problem is too big for God. I know times like that require an unwavering faith. But it still felt terrible.

So, two Sundays ago, I did the only thing I could think of at that time and that was to take two kids home with me, Bwanika and Isma, ages 12 and 11. I had no plan and no idea what I was going to do with two boys once morning came but it didn’t matter, kids were not meant to sleep on the streets. One night turned into two and two into a week and a week into two weeks.To say that the last two weeks have been a whirlwind would be an understatement. The last two weeks have been absolutely crazy. I can’t remember the last time I was so tired but it has been worth every bit. A few very important factors have made the two weeks a bit stressful and made coming up with a long term plan urgent. It is not legal for me to have the kids in my home without legal consent of a guardian or government approval. At the same time the longer they were with me the harder it would be to have them go anywhere else. So last week I went on a mission to find a solution and I pray that what I have found is the right decision. Wednesday afternoon I will take my kids to a ministry that runs a home for street kids. They put the kids in school and spend months, if not years, counseling them and working with them and their families. The goal is always resettlement into their family. I’m a firm believer that children should be with their families and everything needs to be done to make that happen. However, it’s much easier with kids I know and love from a distant. It’s not so easy with kids I consider my own and love so much.

I love these kids. I could write for hours and hours about how amazing they are and how much I’ve learned from them. I’ve seen God work in their hearts and lives. Just two months ago Isma would not greet or acknowledge me or any other staff at the program. He constantly looked hard and angry. He would rarely come around but God used an injury several weeks ago to change him. He started coming around for medical care and started listening to us. Then he started greeting us and then we took him out with a few other kids and I saw a different side of him and now he is a 100% a different child. In a short few weeks God changed his anger and hardness into joy and laughter. I am telling you this kid is funny and he loves all the staff now.It goes to show what consistent love and God can do to somebody. Then there is Bwanika. I’ve known him for the longest and I’ve seen a side of him many didn’t see for a long time. I saw a kid that is far more mature than he lets on. He’s far more caring than most know and I love him. The staff member that leads the weekly Bible studies was hesitant to let Bwanika into the club for fear he would distract the other kids but he turned out to be one of the most respectful and well behaved. He wants to be a comedian when he grows up and gets pure joy out of making people laugh. He loves little kids and is always kind to them and the dogs that live on the streets. While most kids are terrorizing the dogs and little kids, Bwanika is feeding them with the little money he has. He wakes up earlier than Isma and without hesitation starts washing all dirty clothes every morning. It’s pretty amazing.

God has blessed abundantly with these two boys and my heart is so heavy now that they will be leaving. I find peace in knowing that God has His hand in this and that He can do far more than I can in providing for them and ensuring their care. I pray that this transition would be smooth, that the boys would love their school and new home. I pray that God would work miracles in their families and that the boys would be able to be resettled with no difficulties. I pray that their families open their arms to the boys and love them so well. I pray that they would never have to call the streets their home again.

Further updates to come soon.


Isma enjoying chicken lunch.

Bwanika's favorite food is fish. I may never eat fish again after seeing this :)

Bwanika and Peter at a soccer game.

Isma is in the background with the comb and Bwanika is making a funny face (naturally).

The three of us - Team Red :)

Self-portrait of Isma


2 comments:

  1. What an awesome story!!! So glad to put the faces to the names. Being a parent is not easy, but obviously very gratifying; even if it was temporary this time. Again and again, YOU ARE AMAZING, Cara! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful. Conflicts of the heart concerning children we pour ourselves into... I am praying for you now.

    ReplyDelete